Professor Giorgio Walter Canonica is the Head of Personalized Medicine Center: Asthma and Allergy in Humanitas Research Hospital.
Medical areas of interest
Asthma and allergies
Research areas of interest
- T cells: study of different subgroups and their functional role in basic and clinical research (allergy, specific autoimmunity of organs, degenerative diseases of the CNS and cancer).
- Molecular events and interactions between immunocompetent cells, inflammatory cells, epithelial cells in allergic inflammation and airway remodelling.
- Biomarkers that define the therapeutic response in asthma.
- New antiallergenic drugs and new strategies in the treatment of allergic disease.
- Clinical and immune-pharmacological activities of modifiers of biological responses such as cytokines, monoclonal antibodies, specific immunotherapy for allergens, etc.
- Results of reported patients and assessment of quality of life in patients with respiratory and allergic diseases.
Prof. Canonica coordinated and conducted more than 50 tests (phase II-IV) according to current GCP rules (certification number 2426574, 29/06/2017).
He has also served as an arbitrator for most of the most important international journals – Editor-in-Chief of “Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology” – Associated Editor “Annals of Allergy & Clinical Immunology”.
- Director of the Degree programme of Lung Diseases at the University of Genoa
- (1998 – Today) President of the Clinic for Diseases of Allergies and Respiratory – Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa – IRCCS AOU San Martino IST
- (1997) Director of the Specialized School of Allergy and Clinical Immunology DIMI, University of Genoa
- (1998-present) Full professor of allergies and respiratory diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa
- (1995-1998) Full professor of Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa,
- (1982) Associate Professor Allergy and Clinical Immunology-Dept. of Internal Medicine, (1977) Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine – University of Genoa
- (1973) Assistant at the Clinic of Pulmonary Diseases – University of Genoa