Professor Alessandro Zerbi is the Unit Director of the Pancreatic Surgery Unit at Humanitas Research Hospital.
His main areas of expertise are the hepato-pancreato-biliary pathologies, with a focus on pancreatic surgery in its multiple aspects: endocrine tumours, cystic tumours, pancreatic carcinoma, integrated multidisciplinary approaches to pancreatic neoplasms, acute and chronic pancreatitis and pseudocysts.
Furthermore, Professor Zerbi has a particular competence for the pathology of the duodenum (tumours of the duodenum, tumours of the Vater papilla, duodenal cystic dystrophy) and the distal biliary tract.
Professor Zerbi has performed over 800 pancreatic resections, in particular more than 450 duodenocephalopancreasectomies with a mortality rate lower than 2% in the last 5 years. These numbers make him one of the most experienced pancreatic surgeons of Europe.
His career developed at San Raffaele Hospital under Professor Valerio Di Carlo, who was his mentor: under his teaching, he became in 2004 chief of the Pancreatic Surgery Unit and he moved to Humanitas in 2010 to direct the Pancreatic Surgery Unit.
Professor Zerbi was the first surgeon to perform islet cells autotransplantation combined to completion pancreatectomy in case of severe complications of pancreatoduodenectomy, and he is currently able to offer this outstanding procedure. Finally, he has competence in both respective and derivative surgery for chronic pancreatitis, and in the treatment of acute pancreatitis.
Current Teaching Activity: He is associate professor at Humanitas University at Surgery course. In 2018 he received the national scientific qualification as Surgery Professor of 1st level.
In addition, he is member of the publishing board of the World Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, BMC Gastroenterology, Journal of Pancreatology.
Professor Zerbi covers various positions:
- Member of the International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (IHPBA):
- Member of the European Pancreatic Club (EPC);
- Member of the International Association of Surgeons, Gastroenterologists and Oncologists (IASGO);
- Member of the European Neuroendocrine Tumor Society (ENETS);
- Member of the Italian Surgery Society (SIC);
- Member of the Italian Association of Hospital Surgeons (ACOI);
- Member of the Italian Association for Pancreas Study (AISP) and from 2014 to 2017 he has been the president of the Association;
- Member of the Italian Society of Oncological Surgery (SICO);
- Member of the Italian Society of Endoscopic Surgery (SICE).
Also, he is the author of the Italian guidelines on Acute Pancreatitis and he participating in the drafting of the European guidelines on Pancreatic Cystic Tumors. Professor Zerbi is the promoter of the Screening Programme for Family Pancreatic Cancer in Italy and he coordinates the study group of minimally invasive pancreatic surgery (IGoMIPS).
Finally, he published 170 books in English, 25 book chapters of books and over 200 abstracts. H index: 45 (scopus). Professor Zerbi has participated as a speaker in numerous courses and national and international congresses of general surgery and pancreatology.