The Operating Unit, in collaboration with the university, employs a team of qualified physicians dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of endocrine diseases, with reference to nationally and internationally recognized guidelines. In order to take better care of patients with rare and / or complex diseases, the Operating Unit of Endocrinology has enabled Ambulatory surgeries.
In particular, the following outpatient clinics were activated in dedication to:
- Endocrine disorder in PMA and pregnant patients
- Follow-up of patients with thyroid cancer
- The pathology of the adrenal glands (adrenal incidentalomas, aldosteronism, pheochromocytoma, Cushing's syndrome)
- The pathology of the parathyroid glands (hyperparathyroidism, hypoparathyroidism)
- Pituitary disease (hypopituitarism, GH deficiency in adults, acromegaly, Cushing's disease, non-secreting pituitary adenomas, TSH-secreting pituitary adenomas, PRL-secreting pituitary adenomas)
The Operating Unit of Endocrinology also works together with the Pituitary Unit (in collaboration with Neurosurgery), in order to ensure that patients with malignant tumors of the hypothalamic region or pituitary gland, receive proper diagnostic and therapeutic services and follow-up. It is also an integral part of the Multidisciplinary Group for Neuroendocrine Tumors recognized as a center of excellence by the European Neuroendocrine Tumor Society (ENETS).
The Unit of Andrology is also a part of the Unit of Endocrinology and deals with male health, particularly hypogonadism and erectile dysfunction conditions. In reality, erectile dysfunction is not actually a disease, but rather a symptom of other problems that can involve the whole body. In addition to aging, in most cases erectile dysfunction is caused by multiple risk factors, among which vascular diseases and metabolic disorders are mentioned. Erectile dysfunction is therefore a “sentinel” symptom for undetected cardiovascular diseases.
Also, within the Unit of Andrology, outpatient procedures involve:
- Andrology clinic dedicated to the pathology of cancer in patients
- Outpatient rehabilitation (Andrology dedicated to rehabilitation of patients undergoing prostatectomy)
The Operating Unit of Endocrinology is also a Disease Center for rare hypogonadism conditions (central hypogonadism and Klinefelter syndrome) and is recognized by the Lombardy Region.