The Deaprtment of Neurosurgery, headed by Professor Maurizio Fornari, deals with the diagnosis and surgical treatment of major disorders of the central and peripheral nervous system – from common to most complex and rare conditions. The Department surgeons perform over 2,500 operations and see over 8,000 patients annually.
In particular, the team treats cases of:
- pathologies of the vertebral column and the spinal cord: related to tumors or malformation – degenerative and traumatic;
- primary and secondary brain tumors;
- cerebrovascular diseases (ischemia and cerebral haemorrhage);
- congenital malformations of the central nervous system (Chiari, syringomyelia etc.);
- abnormal cerebrospinal fluid circulation (hydrocephalus);
- tumors of the pituitary gland and sellar and parasellar regions, as part of the multidisciplinary Pituitary Unit.
The team also performs neurological diagnostic tests (EEG, EMG, evoked potentials) and engages in treatment, support, and monitoring of neurological and neurosurgical cases. The doctors also regularly participate in multidisciplinary case discussions to ensure that each patient receives most technologically advanced and personalized treatment possible.