What you should know about bariatric surgery
Bariatric surgery is a procedure which reduces the capacity of ones stomach and helps people lose weight by making them feel full after eating a small amount of food. It is recommended to obese people who have not achieved long-term success with other weight loss attempts.
There are more than one type of bariatric surgery: gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, gastric banding and gastric plication.
Dietary adjustments after bariatric surgery
Bariatric surgery requires certain adjustments of habit for it to be successful and risk free. Patients should eat by taking very small bites and slowly, while not consuming any liquids simultaneously. Your physician will provide you with a complete diet or refer you to a dietician, and recommend vitamins or supplements.
Weight loss is the main benefit as this is a procedure usually targeting patients that are required to lose 65 pounds or more. But there are other benefits which are listed below.
- Long-term remission for type 2 diabetes.
- Improved cardiovascular health. Weight loss surgery decreases a person’s risk of heart disease and other conditions related to obesity such as coronary heart disease, stroke, peripheral heart disease, high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Relief of depression. Obesity can cause people to feel self-conscious, abstain from physical acitivity which release endorphins and to segregate themselves from society. This is due to the social stigma which exists on poor body image. By loosing weight and regaining self confidence a person can rebound socially and start involving themselves in activities that improve their mental health.
- Reduce or even eliminate sleep apnea. Many obese people have difficulty breathing in certain positions while laying down. This is a symptom which of course can be eliminated once the desired body weight is achieved.
- Joint pain relief. Weight loss which occurs after the procedure is significant, subsequently the patient’s joints will be relieved.
- Improved fertility. Weight loss surgery can also improve fertility during childbearing years.
- Alleviate other medical conditions. Obesity can be the cause of many other diseases and conditions all of which will be alleviated after the procedure.
Bariatric surgery is a safe and powerful tool, providing sustained relief for overweight people when all other solutions have failed. The prerequisite ofcourse is a knowledgeable team with experience and the ability to support the patient before and after the procedure.
Read more about Bariatric Surgery at Humanitas here.