Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet is essential in scorching heat, even when the temptation to skip meals or indulge in less nutritious options is high. Thankfully, numerous simple and delightful dishes can keep us feeling nourished and refreshed.
Begin with proper hydration by consuming at least two liters of water daily. While cold water might seem appealing, opt for room temperature water to avoid stomach issues and ensure optimal hydration. Avoid sugary drinks and hard liquor, which increase perspiration and hinder vitamin absorption.
Healthy Meal Choices
– Low-fat yogurt
– Skim milk
– Fresh fruit
– Dry cookies
– A cup of coffee or tea
– 70 grams of whole wheat pasta, rice, spelt, or high-fiber sources
– Consider beef or swordfish carpaccio with a fresh salad or cooked/raw vegetables as a main course. Alternatively, opt for a single dish containing grains and legumes with vegetables.
– Focus on proteins with options like bresaola, white meat, or fish prepared in the oven or grilled. Vegetarians and vegans can enjoy a legume burger or falafel with vegetables.
Snacking and Dessert:
Fruits are a fantastic snack or dessert option and can be seamlessly integrated into your meals.
Recipe 1: Zucchini and Mint Fusilli
Ingredients for two people
– 120 grams (4 ounces) of whole wheat fusilli
– Two sprigs of mint
– Four small zucchini
– Salt and pepper
– Cook the pasta and brown the julienne-cut zucchini in a pan with olive oil.
– Drain the pasta, toss it with the zucchini mint leaves, and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe 2: Swordfish with Citrus Fruits
– 240 grams (8.5 ounces) of thinly sliced swordfish
– One orange
– A hint of green chili pepper
– Lemon juice
– Prepare a marinade with oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
– Coat the swordfish slices with the marinade and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for an hour.
– Remove the fish from the refrigerator, drain it from the excess oil, and arrange it on a plate. Add orange segments and a touch of green chili pepper for flavor.
With these simple and nutritious meal options, there’s no need to compromise on taste or well-being during hot weather. Stay hydrated, savor balanced meals, and maximize your summer!