Tolvaptan is used to treat certain cases of low blood sodium levels.
What is Tolvaptan?
Tolvaptan works by increasing fluid excretion from the body. To do so, it works with certain hormones such as vasopressin. Tolvaptan helps to normalize blood sodium levels.
How should Tolvaptan be taken?
Tolvaptan is administered orally in the form of tablets.
Side effects associated with Tolvaptan
Tolvaptan may cause kidney problems and it may increase blood sugar levels in the body.
Among the other possible side effects of tolvaptan include the following:
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Frequent urination
It is important to contact a doctor immediately if you experience:
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness or chest pain
- Swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- Dark stools
- Blood in the stool
- Pain, swelling, redness or tenderness in your legs or calves
- Blood in the sputum
- Dark urine
- Decreased urination
- Irregular heartbeat
- Mood changes or psychological problems
- Severe or persistent dizziness, vomiting , nausea or diarrhea
- Severe or persistent muscle pain or weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty speaking
- Increase in blood sugar
- Difficulty swallowing
- Uncontrollable muscle movements
- Bleeding or bruising
- Vision problems
- Vomiting that looks like coffee
- Weakness in legs or arms
Contraindications and warnings associated with the use of Tolvaptan
Tolvaptan may be contraindicated in case of dehydration, hypovolemia or low levels of body fluids, dizziness, fainting, kidney failure, liver problems or difficulty urinating.
It must not be taken together with aprepitant, clarithromycin, cobicistat, desmopressin, diltiazem, erythromycin, fluconazole, fosaprepitant, itraconazole, ketoconazole, nefazodone, posaconazole, protease inhibitors, telithromycin, troleandomycin or verapamil. It is also advisable to avoid consuming grapefruit or its juice during treatment.
Before starting treatment with tolvaptan, it is important to tell your doctor if:
- You have any allergies to the active substance, its excipients or to any other drugs or food
- You are taking any other medications, herbal remedies or supplements. Mentioning in particular: ACE inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers, diuretics, aprepitant, azole antifungals, clarithromycin, cobicistat, cyclosporine, diltiazem, erythromycin, fosaprepitant, nefazodone, protease inhibitors, telithromycin , troleandomycin, verapamil, carbamazepine, hydantoins, phenobarbital, primidone, rifamycins, St. John's wort, digoxin or desmopressin
- You are suffering (or have suffered) from liver or kidney problems, high potassium in the blood, low blood pressure, diabetes or hypovolemia
- You are on dialysis
- You are suffering from dehydration
- You are suffering from malnutrition
- You are suffering from alcohol abuse or alcohol dependence
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding