Zaleplon is used in cases of insomnia associated with difficulty falling asleep. However, it does not help to sleep longer or to reduce the number of awakenings during the night.
What is Zaleplon?
Zaleplon is a hypnotic-sedative drug that works by reducing the activity of the brain, allowing it to sleep.
How should Zaleplon be taken?
Zaleplon is administered orally in the form of capsules. Generally, it is taken when necessary or when we have already gone to bed and cannot fall asleep.
Side effects associated with Zaleplon
Among the possible adverse effects of Zaleplon are included:
- Feeling faint or lightheaded
- Lack of coordination
- Numbness, burning or tingling of hands or feet
- Loss of appetite
- Vision problems
- Eye pain
- Hypersensitivity to noise
- Variations of smell
- Painful menstruation
It is important to contact a doctor immediately if taking Zaleplon triggers any of the following symptoms:
- Swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips or eyes
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
Contraindications and warnings associated with the use of Zaleplon
Zaleplon should only be taken when you intent to sleep for at least 7-8 hours. Otherwise, you may experience side effects such as dizziness and problems with coordination or memory.
It is important to remember that the drug can impair driving skills and maneuvering hazardous machines, it is addictive, and alcohol increases the side effects. Moreover, before stopping therapy you should consult your doctor.
Before starting treatment it is important to inform your doctor if:
- You have any allergies to the active substance, its excipients or any other medicines, especially aspirin or atrazine
- You are taking other medications, herbal remedies and supplements, citing in particular antihistamines, barbiturates, drugs for coughs or colds, drugs, antidepressants, anticonvulsants, painkillers, rifampin, sedatives, tranquilizers, thioridazine or other drugs for insomnia
- You suffer from alcoholism or drug abuse (even if it was in the past), suicide attempts and if you suffer (or have suffered) from depression, psychiatric disease, seizures, lung disease, respiratory problems or kidney or liver disease
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
Lastly, you must also notify surgeons and dentists of any ongoing treatment with Zaleplon prior to any procedure.