Oligomenorrhoea is one of the types of irregularities of the menstrual cycle which may have to do with women of childbearing age. In this case, menstrual discharge may be of low abundance and the cycle can be particularly long. Coming down into the specifics of definition, it is called oligomenorrhea when the distance between a menstruation and the other exceeds 35 days but not 90. In the latter case, we speak of amenorrhea.

In many cases a cycle of low abundance is the consequence of taking the pill. Other times, oligomenorrhea is just a matter of age, in very young women the cycle can take years before regularized. Nevertheless, there are even cases where irregularities are associated with diseases (such as thyroid problems, polycystic ovary syndrome or diabetes), the lack of hormone prolactin or to the intake of drugs, such as antipsychotics and antiepileptics. Finally, even young women that practice very intense exercise (such as a competitive sport) or live with eating disorders such as anorexia, nervosa or bulimia may experience oligomenorrhea.


What kind of diseases can be associated with oligomenorrhoea?

The following diseases may be associated with oligomenorrhoea:

  • Anorexia nervosa
  • Bulimia
  • Diabetes
  • Thyroid disorders
  • PCOS

Remember that this is not an exhaustive list and it is highly recommended to consult your doctor, in case of symptom’s persistence.



What is the therapy for oligomenorrhoea?

By itself the oligomenorrhea is not necessarily a serious problem and to regularize the cycle you can take hormonal therapies, including simple contraceptive pill.

In case that at its base there is a specific disease, you may instead need a targeted treatment. Eating disorders require psychological intervention, and polycystic ovary syndrome may be addressed with the help of a gynecologist, who may for example prescribe the appropriate medication. In other cases it may be useful to reduce the load of physical activity done during the day.


When is most likely to contact your doctor in case of oligomenorrheic?

You should seek medical attention if menstruation does not appear for more than 35 days and you are not taking the pill. In general, any sudden change cycle should push to consult a gynecologist.